Competency to accept visa applications
Visa requests should be made at the competent consular post, capable of analyzing visa application requests, in compliance with the Visa Code.
Applications should be made at the country of legal residency of the applicant. Under exceptional circumstances, visa applications could be made in a country other than that of legal residency, provided that the applicant is in a regular situation.
The requirements for being the competent Member State to examine and decide on a uniform short stay visa are:
- The Member State whose territory is the sole destination of the visit;
- If the visit includes more than one destination, or if several separate visits are to be carried out within a period of two months, the Member State whose territory constitutes the main destination of the visit(s) in terms of the length of stay, counted in days, or the purpose of stay; or
- If a main destination cannot be determined, the Member State through which external border the applicant intends to enter first.
In case of transit:
- In case of transit through a single Member State, that State shall be competent;
- In case of transit through multiple States, the Member State through which external border the applicant intends to enter first.
The Member State competent to examine and decide over na airport transit visa application should be:
- In case of a single airport transit, the Member State in whose territory the airport is located;
- In case of multiple airport transits (different airports for entry and return), the Member State in whose territory the entry is located.