Competency to accept visa applications
Visa requests should be made at the competent consular post, capable of analyzing visa application requests, in compliance with the Visa Code.
Applications should be made at the country of legal residency of the applicant. Under exceptional circumstances, visa applications could be made in a country other than that of legal residency, provided that the applicant is in a regular situation.
The requirements for being the competent Member State to examine and decide on a uniform short stay visa are:
- The Member State whose territory is the sole destination of the visit;
- If more than one destination is anticipated, the Member State being the main destination in regard with both purpose and duration of stay;
- If a main destination cannot be determined, the Member State through which external border the applicant intends to enter first.
In case of transit:
- In case of transit through a single Member State, that State shall be competent;
- In case of transit through multiple States, the Member State through which external border the applicant intends to enter first.
The Member State competente to examine and decide over na airport transit visa application should be:
- In case of a single airport transit, the Member State in whose territory the airport is located;
- In case of multiple airport transits (different airports for entry and return), the Member State in whose territory the entry is located.